Saturday, September 30, 2006

$55 dollars

I lost $55 dollars to stupidity yesterday. I was signed up to take a test that usually costs lots more than $55 dollars to take, but, thanks to the good deal our program was able to get, the test was going to be at a reduced price; the best part, however, was that the program would pay for it all, so it was essentially free to me. All I had to do was get up on time, call the number, and take my test over the phone. Well, I did the first step: I got up on time. However, I had managed to forget that I even had this test to take until 9:30 AM ... I was supposed to call at 8:30 AM. Anyways, what it comes down to is that I just wasted money on a test I never took. I still have a chance to take it again, but I have to pay for it from my own pocket this time, which I've elected to do. That means I payed $55 dollars for the joy of sitting on my computer reading my email rather than taking a test. Totally not worth it. Do you know how many yams I could buy with $55 dollars? (Well, actually, put that way, it's not that bad. I don't really like yams that much)
Anyways, I'm glad I do stupid things from time to time. It makes me feel a whole lot smarter the rest of the time.

3 comments:

Yarjka said...

Hooray! Incidentally, I was going to pay you $55 dollars to start it up again. I'm glad you've decided to do that without my added incentive.

N.F. said...

What type of test?

Yarjka said...

It's called an OPI (Oral Proficiency Interview). It gives a grade of how fluent I am in the language by speaking with an accredited tester by telephone for a half hour.
Update: I took the test (and have actually still not paid for it...they haven't asked yet) and feel that I did very well. It was a very comfortable conversation that included a bit of role-playing (my task for part of it was to describe the intricacies of cell phones to my grandmother who knows nothing about them). The conversation ranged from my childhood, to missionary work in Ukraine, to the political situation in Ukraine and my opinions on such, and other topics as well. It went very well.
The reason I was taking the test is to get into the new Russian Debate class this Winter. The debate team will be comprised of 10 students who will compete in an international debate competition in Russia, as well as tour the Duma and other governmental organizations and observe firsthand the workings of the Russian government. It seems like it would be a really exciting opportunity. However, even though I did quite well on both the OPI and the WPI (written test), I am still doubtful I'll get in, since at least 60 people tested to get in. That leaves the odds out of my favor.