Thursday, July 13, 2006

Phish: Live in Brooklyn

I had the wonderful opportunity of attending my first Phish concert in over 4 years. This is partly due to the fact that they haven't been touring since 2004, but, I also haven't seen Trey or any of the others play individually since that time either. In fact, I haven't been to many concerts at all since before I left to Ukraine in October, 2002. I did see Moe. on New Year's Eve in Las Vegas in 2003. And I bought a ticket to Moe. out here in Washington, DC, but couldn't go due to my being in Ukraine again at the time.
I was expecting a fairly excited crowd for the Phish concert last Monday at the local Movie Theater. This show was the Phish: Live in Brooklyn concert that was apparently broadcast to movie theaters around the country simultaneously when it first aired, and now, due to it's release on dvd (which I have also purchased) was being shown again in select theaters around the country. Washington DC being the large city that it is, saw fit to show the concert at 9PM in a Regal theater in the Ballston Mall in Arlington, VA. I knew the crowd would be excited, because obviously only a true phishhead would buy tickets for $12.50 a piece to see a pre-recorded performance of a concert that happened two years ago.
But, I was just happy to be able to see my good friends Trey, Mike, Page, and Fish playing again. Up close and personal. The sound was incredible in the theater, almost better than seeing the band play live because there weren't the bad acoustics that come with some venues (like I'm sure a baseball field would have). It also didn't rain in the movie theater, which was nice. The audience was spectacular, dancing in the aisles and cheering the band on, even though I doubt the band could hear us (but maybe they did hear us...two years ago...there's a thought).
I was very impressed with the filming of this concert. It did well at focusing on the main points of the music, and highlighting Trey's magnificent work on guitar as well as Page's piano playing.
Overall, I was overjoyed that the evening went so well. Also, I thought the mall looked really great, and I think I'll go visit it sometime soon to do some shopping and 'chillin.'
After the show, my friend and I went to catch the 12:45 AM bus, which never came. We then ate at IHOP to appease my stomach ache. I thought a glass of grapefruit juice would help (I know, contradictory logic...I'll have to explain that later), but it didn't. In fact, I think it made it worse. I don't know what was going around, but when I got home that night, Glenn, my roommate, also had a bad stomachache, so, maybe it was something we ate. In any case, my friend and I decided not to attempt the 6 mile walk home, but rather, catch a $10.00 cab ride home. It was delightful and exciting and I would highly recommend the experience to anyone else. However, it was a one night only experience, so...you lose.

No comments: