Sunday, February 22, 2009

Oscars

What has happened?

I usually look forward to the Oscars like others do to the Superbowl. For me, it's more than an event, it's a monumental moment in history. This ceremony confers awards on those very films that will continue to be discussed and cherished for generations after generations. Even the awards that go to the undeserving films remain a force to be reckoned with. It is always entertaining, and superbly interesting, to see which films are considered to be the best by those in the industry.

I disagree with those who declare the meaninglessness of Oscars. Of course, I have always known that the best films are not always awarded with the Oscar, for reasons that may be political, financial, or social. And sometimes, there are just too many good movies in one year to honor them all. Nonetheless, the receipt of an Oscar is a profound statement - a statement that this film, at this date, under these circumstances has been seen as being important enough to go down in history for the honor of mankind, throughout the ages.

This brings me back to my original question: what has happened? This year I have not seen a single one of the nominated films, apart from Kung-Fu Panda. What has happened to my love of cinema? I continue to enjoy films, but I have failed this year to spend any of my money or time to seek out the best movies. And this is a growing trend with me. Last year I saw very few of the films, and the year before that, I had also seen only a handful.

It's a pity, because, despite the critics' statements that this is a dull year for films, many of the movies look genuinely interesting. I hereby plan to have an Oscars night when the films become available on DVD, in which I will watch each of the films that win any of the major awards. Hopefully, this will renew my passion in cinema to its former glory.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Hey Joseph- it's Heather, Jon's wife. Jon being Claire's cousin. And since they are cousins we're cousins. :0) I know what you mean - Jon and I did not see any of the Nominated films- and hello, Jon majored in film! Something is definitely wrong with this picture. The thing is, and I am sure you and Claire feel our pain, $9 dollars to see a movie per person- ouch! That is why we do netflix or red box on occasion. Eventually we will see these films- Jon is dying to see Slumdog. BUT, let me tell you, this problem of your will only get worse- MUCH worse once you welcome children into the home :0) The last movie we saw in a theater was The Dark Knight - and we only saw it because it was part of Jon's b-day present and baby boy was not here yet. SO good luck my friend and please tell us what you think of these movies once you see them.

WiL said...

It never does.